Tuesday, September 23, 2008

What I am doing????

Ok so what I have decided to do is split things up between upper body and lower body. It is a simple split. Now with that said I train my entire body ever day I just do not use the Exer-Genie/Isorobic device for the entire body daily. So for examble Monday I did my entire uper body with the Exer-Genie then once finshed I did some body weight squats and road an exercise bike for 10 minutes. I train my legs to some degree daily but nothing like how I train them on leg day. Tue. I used my Exer-Genie to train all of the muscles in my legs,hips and glutes then I do some body weight squats and isometric calf exercises. Since my primary goal is fat reduceing and general health I do not really plan my workouts much especialy for the upper body I have a rough outline with a few goals and I vary most of the workout each time. I mostly try to keep moveing with no rest or breaks at all for the 30 minutes I am training the upper body. The legs are a bit different because you really can not transition very fast on the leg exercise's with the Exer-Genie unless you have a partner helping to return the line to it's working postion after each rep so I go mostly for strength on all the leg exercise's.So when training legs I treat each rep like a mini single 1RM done in secsession. I always incorperate at least 3 isometric holds for 7 seconds in each postion on the first rep.

Really the body weight squats do not have to be done with only body weight to insanely high numbers! As long as you hold your weights either at your side or between your legs like with dumbells or kettlebells then you can use resistance and do fewer reps. I do not think that the average person or even the average athlete benifitts much from heavy back or front squats done with a barbell across their shoulders. I think that longterm this causes too much spinal compression and makes the body more prone to injury. I think that squats and high step's or step up's done with heavy dumbells and slightly higher rep's will acomplish everything that 99% of the population includeing seasoned athletes need. The exception would be powerlifters, olympic weight lifters, and strong man competitors. One can do deadlifts, dumbell squats, high steps and one leg body weight squats and accomplish all the strength building for sport and injury prevention that anyone would ever need. As far as explosive ballistic straining goes one can use kettlebell's of various sizes to train for those affects usualy associated with heavy Olympic Lifting while also building anerobic endurance. The plus side is that kettlebells are far easier to learn to do properly from a DVD then traditional Olympic lifting and they are far less likely to cause you any serious injury. They are also far cheaper.

Some might say that just doing push-up's, pull-up's and body weight squats is all a person needs. I would say look around next time you are at Walmart and count the number of people that look like they could not do a single pull-up,push-up etc?????????? Because the Exer-Genie allows you to adjust the resitance even someone as weak as a 5 year old can start out on it. It allows you to adjust the movements to your body so you can work around injuries. The uper body exercise's are all done while standing and only a few of the leg exercise are done on the floor and even then most of those could be done from a chair as well. I have seen more then a few people that have a hard time getting up and down from the ground. If you have a fat belly how far done do you think you will get trying to do a push-up??? Because it is use's isometrics and isotonics and cover's everything from anerobic to aerobic this tool is almost a must have for anyone that is out of shape. Unlike the garbage seen on TV these units are built solid and do what they where designed to do. I mean they where good enough for NASA for crying out loud.

I like my Exer-Genie's build quality better then my Isorobic but the Isorobic comes with better workout material/instruction and it is easier to repeatably set to a specific resistance level. The Isorobic unit has a window that show's exactly the amount of resistance you have adjusted into the device. The Exer-Genie makes you count turns and look at a sticker to still how much resistance you have dialed in. If you need a device that comes with rock solid guidence and motovational discussions and program guids then I would recomend that you buy an Isorobic unit from Ogie Shaw since he also includes his own material along with the material that comes from Isorobic. If you are rather experinced exerciser and are looking for the most bang for your buck I would recomend you get the Exer-Genie/"The Trainer" it has an insanely good price and is in my opion the best buy in the fitness industry I do not understand how they can offer such a well built and functional piece of equipment at such a fair and honest price!!!

The reason I am useing this form of training is because I am about 3 hours away from my home. I am doing some seaonal farm work and staying at my inlaws house. The Exer-Genie is the perfect tool in that it is compact,portable and so far pleasantly effective.

No comments: